Thursday, August 23, 2012

My story of buying my first house Part 2 of ???

C and I are leaving for Boston today to go to a cousins wedding.  :) Yay for a mini-vacation!  Its also nice because I can see C since he has been in New Jersey.  But anyways, this post is pre written.  

So. I believe I left off at when we made an offer on the house.  We made an offer of approximately 13k under what we thought the house was worth.  I think our offer was officially presented to the seller at Thursday, March 15th around 9 AM.  Later that day we get a call from our relator around noon saying they came down $7,000 in price.  So we counter coming up $8,000 in price.  Mind you we are still have bout 5k in playing room. Then comes the drama.

Friday comes and goes... and then we go visit C's family to celebrate St Patty's day.  At this point its so surprising to us that it is taking so long to get a response from the seller.  My realtor will randomly send me texts saying "still haven't heard anything" but other than that we are in silence.  The same things happens on Saturday.

For those who know me, I don't do patient well... I want what I want when I want it.  And I usually want everything now.  So Its absolutely killing me that they wont respond.  Sunday I still have no idea what is going on.

Finally around lunch time, my realtor calls me.  I'm all excited but he immediately says "I have bad news.  The sellers went up in price."  My immediate reaction is - what??? Why?!  How?? I don't understand?  Well, it turns out, the sellers realtor originally gave us a counter offer without talking to the seller.  I have no idea why, but essentially the sellers realtor conned us into going up in price when the seller hadn't actually heard our offer.  So at this point, our offer is 5k below our max price, and their offer is 10k over our max price. So, sucks.

I tell our realtor to tell them I'm pissed, not with him, but just in general.  I also tell him to go up to our max price.  Tell them its our final offer.  Two days go by AGAIN without hearing anything.  At this point I'm deflated.  I'm guessing and planning on us going out again soon to look at houses.  Then I get a call from our realtor saying they counter offered at 3,000 above our maximum price.  All I keep thinking is don't these people understand what a final offer means??? Final offer means take it or leave it.

But, C and I decided to take the offer.  And so, on March 22nd we finally sign all the paperwork and we are on the road to owning our first house! :) Yay!!  We chose May 4th as our closing date and thus begin the process of securing a loan.... TBC.

2 comments:

Nannie Toller said...

I think, in the end, you made the right choice by taking the higher offer. It IS, after all, a house that you wanted. It’s good to not settle on the first inexpensive house that you find, since you’ll be turning into a HOME to raise a family in. You want it to be the best that your money can buy. I’m sure that in time, you’ll see that every cent you paid for the house was worth it.

Drew Andrews said...

The story seems positive at this point. :) What I noticed, though, is that the seller and their realtor didn’t communicate well. Even if you’re working with a professional, you must remember that you are the head of the entire venture. Hence, you must have the final say. Ultimately, it’s great that you pushed through with the offer.