Monday, June 27, 2011

Another Horse Related Post

What can I say, I REALLY miss horseback riding lately.

I just can't really understand how several people who have gone through the same stuff as me (with regards to trainers) can continue to put trust in another trainer.

Lets go through everything.  All of this was at the same barn, and there are multiple people who are still there onto the next trainer. 
Trainer 1 - I was young, 12 to 16.  I was naive and so I didn't realize she was an alchy.  Come to find out she gave lessons, rode horses and did just about everything drunk.  The owner of the barn kicked her out and told her to go to rehab.  What would have happened if my horse hurt her??? The final straw was when she showed a horse at the Nationals and was so drunk she almost fell off.

Trainer 2 - I was 16-17 He started out real hardworking.... until he seduced his riders (even under age riders).  He also did hard drugs and ignored horses.  He would frequently not come to the barn for days (leaving horses in their stalls), miss scheduled lessons, and show up to lessons high.

Trainer 3 - I was 18-23.  Everything started out wonderful.  He was hardworking, completely clean, had gigantic dreams for revamping the barn.  Then, he started to get a little to big for his britches.  He started to do drugs, and his lieing problem (which was always there, just hidden) became apparent.  He would lie about getting horses out and leave horses in their stalls.  He would lie about giving horses medications they needed.  He would take horses off medication (that were legal to show on as long as proper paperwork was given) just because he didn't want to fill out the paperwork.  And... he did drugs in front of the kids who he taught.  The last straw is when he was at a show and someone keyed "STONER" into the farm truck.  It was a message to his clients that his little "habit" got out of control.

I just don't have faith in trainers.  I understand I can't afford the top notch, well known trainers, so I have to have my horse with the no-name trainers.  But what is wrong with the no-name trainers!  Don't they want to create a name for themselves?  Do they think that the only way they can create a name is a bad name?  I put my horse in these trainers hands.  I was never able to get out to the barn that often due to school, college, and work.  Therefore I had to pay someone to work my horse for me.  To train him so that we could compete at a high level.  I put my trust into these people to take care of my horse for me.

I can't help it, but I don't trust trainers anymore.  I know there are some well known "honest" trainers out there, but I can't help but think they have skeletons that no one has found yet.  I can't imagine ever putting my horse with a trainer again.  I would obsess about the quality of life they were getting (or not getting).

I just feel like "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."

No comments: