Friday, June 24, 2011

A girl and her horse

I was the type of kid who tried just about every sport and didn't like any of them.  Nothing really stuck.  Then for my birthday, my parents bought me horseback riding lessons, and the rest is history.  
I remember the first horse I fell in love with was Daisy, she was a Chestnut 4 year old Saddlebred.  Her owners were never around, so I would give her the attention she deserved.  Even though I wasn't supposed to, I would bring extra carrots for her.  As a child, I didn't really understand what the "big deal" was, however, now I understand why horse owners are disgusted when they find out people are giving their horse treats.  I never had the opportunity to ride her because shortly after she came to the stables I switched to a different barn, but I'll never forget how beautiful and regal she was.

But the horse that stole my heart was Rags.  Anyone who has ever ridden horses (aside from pony rides) will understand when I say the relationship between yourself and a horse is a relationship like no other.  I own a dog, and I've owned horses, and I can't really explain it, but it's different. A dog gives you undeniable love; if you don't see the dog for a while the dog will be extremely happy to see you.  It is not the same with a horse.  I would usually see Rags several times a week unless I was on vacation.  The day I would come back from vacation, Rags would usually ignore me, upset that I left him for so long.  However, as soon as I gave him a banana or an apple, we would become friends again.  

Rags was my best friend.  As corny as it sounds, when I had a bad day at school or my parents were annoying me, I would go to the barn and talk with Rags.  He would make me feel that everything was alright.  When I was in college there were times when I would have given anything to drive the 2 hours to the barn to see my horse.  I knew that the only thing that would make everything OK was Rags. 
Rags was everything you could want in a show horse. Honest, Kind, Lovable. An all around perfect horse. He would take the little 10 year old kids and do a lesson and also light up and trot like a show horse when I rode him. He was perfect.

I don't know what it is about a girl and her horse.  It must have something to do with the majestic beauty and the shear strength the animal has that puts everything into prospective.  Trust me, if a horse does not want to be ridden, they will do everything and anything to get you off their back. 

I will always doubt that I didn't give Rags the best care he deserved.  I wonder if I really did try everything I thought of to cure his White Line Disease.  He was supposed to be my forever horse. He was supposed to live much longer. I was supposed to buy a house with land on it, so he could live his last few years in pasture. Rags was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I still miss him to this day. 

Because of Rags, I have decided that one day I will move to the country.  I will buy land and I will rehab neglected horses.  I may not be able to do it anytime soon, but I will do it one day.  And over the barn door I will have a memorial for Rags.  

Rags - May you be enjoying the greener pastures wherever you are.

No comments: