Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Boston Day 2

Boston Day 2 has much more pictures. :) The first thing we did was go to Warren Tavern.  Warren Tavern is one of the oldest Taverns in Massachusetts.  George Washington's funeral speech was given here and both George Washing and Paul Revere frequently visited here. 



After that we followed the Freedom Trail to the Bunker Hill Monument.   I wrote about some of this day in a previous blog post - here.  I mistakenly said this was the Washington monument, but that is not correct.  This is the Bunker Hill Monument.  The Washington Monument is in DC.  This monument was 294 stops to the top, and we never ended up going to the top.  We got side tracked with the USS Constitution and a family dinner later that night. 






The USS Constitution was very cool.  It sailed on the 24th for the first time since 1998 (at least that's what the sailor told us)  It is the oldest navy vessel that still sails.  It got its nick-name "old iron-sides" because during the war of 1812 soldiers said that cannons would "bounce" off the ships sides.  
At one point we went down below deck to see the other levels of the ship.  Above is the barracks.  Pretty small if you ask me.  The ceiling was real low.  I would have to duck almost the entire time so I wouldn't hit my dead.  After a few minutes one of the sailors said everyone had to go upstairs because a VIP was coming aboard.  Later we found out it was the governor that was coming.
C's brother joined the Navy.  He leaves for basic in December.  So I was very confused as to how and why these sailors got the job of manning this ship.  So I asked one of them.  The conversation went like this.               ~Me - Excuse me. Do you have a minute?
~Sailor - Yes
~Me - Can you tell me what job you have in the Navy?
~Sailor - Missile Launcher (or something like that) 
~Me - But the USS Constitution doesn't have missles?
~Sailor - There's a long story that goes along with it, and I came here by choice.  *Sailor turns and then walks away*

I think I may have annoyed him.  It wasn't my intention.  I just was curious since C's brother is joining as a Corpsman.   I didn't really understand how a military man could have ended up on the USS Constitution.  C told me that I asked the sailor for a minute, and he gave me a minute and at that point I was asking for more of his time. Oh well.  If that sailor reads this - I'm sorry. 

This is another ship that was in the harbor for repair.  Unfortunately I can not remember the name of the ship. 

No comments: