Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I'm back from Boston.

I had never been to Boston or any of the original 13 before this trip so I had a lot of fun.

These days I pretty much rely exclusively on my phone for pictures and the day we left started super early so I didn't get many pictures that first day.  I woke up early and drove to midway.  Met C at Boston Logan and he surprised me with Coffee, K-cups and a sandwich from Dunkin Donuts.  Later that trip we learned that Dunkin Donuts originate near Boston, but in reality C got me coffee and K-cups because he knows Dunkin Donuts is my absolute favorite coffee of all time.

We arrived at the hotel and woke up my Cousins and Aunt and Uncle.  Then we decided to go explore Boston.  Since the wedding was actually in Peabody (pronounced Pibidy) a suburb of Boston, we had to drive everywhere.  We were extremely surprised at 1 PM when there was traffic on the interstate.  Don't ask me which interstate we were on, I have no idea.  I just was shocked to see so much traffic on a Thursday.  Chicago doesn't have that much traffic in the middle of the day, and I assumed Boston would be similar.  When we got to the city of Boston we attempted to find parking and realized the parking prices were just as bad, possibly WORSE than Chicago.  It was surprising. 

Finally we found parking (only $29) and went to a graveyard that was close by.  We saw graves for Mother Goose (pictures here on C's blog) a women who is thought to have been behind the mother goose fairy tales, Sam Adam, Paul Revere, 5 victims of the Boston Massacre, Ben Franklin's parents, John Hancock and many others.  After this we went to a local coffee shop to get coffee and then walked along the Freedom Trail toward The North End.

Along the way we saw another grave and a very old church.  (I highly recommend going to C's blog to see pictures for this day.)  The only picture I have for this day is of a memorial to honor the men and women who have lost their lives in Afghanistan and Iraq.  When a wind comes through it sounds like chimes. Absolutely gorgeous. 

Anyway, we continued to walk and found the North End.  We ate at Lucca's which is a restaurant someone recommended to us.  Honestly, I thought it was overpriced and not worth it.  But oh well.  We also went to Mike's Pastry and ordered an assortment of Italian Cookies to-go.  Unfortunately, this was also not worth the wait.  Later in the trip we went to a much better Italian Restaurant, and a much better Italian Bakery.

After that we went to Cheers. :) Or should I say, the bar that inspired the TV Sitcom Cheers.  Unfortunately, we didn't realize this when we first went here, so when we followed the signs that said "set bar upstairs" we thought we were actually in the set bar.  Later we learned that the actual set bar is in a storage room somewhere in LA.  Apparently people would visit the cheers bar and say things like "this doesn't even look like Cheers. Where did Norm sit?" So they built a set bar.  Oh well.  At least we got to see the bar that inspired the sitcom.  After that we walked through the Boston Commons (a big garden area) and had a few Italian cookies and called it a night.

Boston Day 2 will be posted tomorrow. 

No comments: