Saturday, October 1, 2011

Children at a dog park

So - I don't normally post on a Saturday, but I slacked last week.

I woke up this morning and took Dub to the dog park.  He was the very first dog to arrive (at a bright and early 8 AM) however other dogs came shortly.

Around 9, a lady brought her dog, and her 4 year old daughter to the dog park.  I immediately got nervous.  I mean, lets call a spade a spade.... Dublin is NOT good around children.  So I grabbed his leash and was ready to go, until I saw Dublin didn't even care about the kid.  He completely ignored her and just went to play with the other dogs.  I put away the leash and tried to relax.  After about 15 minutes, I grabbed Dublin and introduced him to the 4 year old.  He was a real good boy, I was thrilled!

However, 15 minutes later, they left and 3 more children came in.  They were 3 year old, 5 year old, and 3 month old.  I asked the mother if Dublin could say Hi.  Both children LOVED Dublin and they wanted to play fetch with him.  It was great for about 15 minutes.... until Dublin jumped on the 3 year old. 

So.... That brings me to the question of why bring children to a dog park.  I really don't know what I would do if I were in that situation.  Needing to take your dog for exercise and having no one to watch the children.  I talked to C about it, and I said "I would never bring..." at which point he interrupted me and said "Yes you will.  Your children will grow up around dogs and you'll want them to play with the dog." 

Its just awful, everyone always says that in order for Dublin to get over his fear of children, he needs to be around them.  Today was (overall) a positive experience for Dublin.  The young-ins were playing fetch with him.  He loved it.  I think he just loved it too much.  So frustrating... On the plus side... no one got hurt.

No comments: