Monday, September 26, 2011

Got freaked out walking Dub a few nights ago.

So, I live in Chicago (which should be obvious) and a lot of neighborhoods are not the best.  Even "good" neighborhoods have substantially more crime than the suburbs.  (Hence why most parents move to the 'burbs to raise a family) 

Anyway, It was bed time for Dub and I always walk Dub right before he goes to bed.  Almost everyone in the neighborhood is afraid of Dub because they think he looks like a pit bull.  Honestly, he has some characteristics (short coat, wide set back legs, the snout is similar), but he really doesn't look that much like one.  Regardless, since I am a young female and I generally walk Dub alone, I am perfect OK with strangers thinking he looks like a pit because of the terrible rep pits have.
On a side note - I believe very strongly that it is the owner who makes the dog mean, not the breed.  My mother and their 8 year old beagle have been attacked 2 times by different Jack Russel Terriers.... so.  Um... yeah. 
But - Lets get back to the original story.  I was leaving the apartment and all of a sudden I got a real bad feeling on this walk.  I've never had this bad feeling walking Dub before.  Like I was being followed or watched.  It really gave me the creeps.  That's when I wished I had Pepper Spray.  I know Dub is very weary toward other people and other people are very weary of him, but it didn't really help the bad feeling. 

So - I ordered Pepper Spray today. I picked this one because it was cheap, and had good reviews. The funny thing is I actually read the reviews and they were quite humorous.

One was titled - Accidental "Test" Reveals Efficacy!" Wow... That must suck....

Another - "Having never been subjected to pepper spray before, I thought it would be "fun", "interesting", or "exciting" to allow a trusted friend to spray me under extremely controlled conditions. As an action medic, I've treated individuals that were maced and have gotten extremely minute second-hand effects from being around them...but I'm certain there is nothing that could prepare anyone for the amount of pain, irritation, and terror that this self-defense tool causes."

I just can't imagine ever buying this product to "test" it...  I guess its more common than I thought.

No comments: