Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Youth National Championships

One of the largest Arabian horse shows is going on right now.  Arabian & Half-Arabian Youth National Championships.  I believe this is the largest Youth Horse Show in the Country.  Don't quote me on that, because I am not 100% sure, but if its not the largest its one of the largest.

I love when the young rider hears their name called for the top ten, reserve or champion and starts crying.  I absolutely love it.  http://www.ferraraphoto.com/11YN/0528/11yn_08545.htm  I mean look at this rider.  (No idea who she is, I don't follow 13 and under riders that closely)  Look how happy/surprised she looks!  You can just tell in her face that she has worked hard for this win.

But you know what I hate??? When the riders get cocky.  I absolutely despise when the riders think they are "the shit" and the judges love them, and there is nothing they can do wrong.  When a rider acts like that, I want the horse to dump their a$$ in the dirt.

I mean honestly, does anyone pay attention to the horses that won the previous year (didn't graduate age groups or anything) and the following year will all of a sudden get the gate?  Cuz I do! Just because you went Youth Champion the year before does not guarantee you a THING.  Sometimes the parents look happier than the rider.  Its unbelievable and it really annoys me.

I was one of the unlucky ones to never get a Youth Championship.  I had a lot of bad luck with lameness and finances in my last 2 years as a youth rider.  And honestly, I would give just about anything to go back to my youth years and ride Rags to one more Top Ten.  I guarantee I would be much happier than that girl I showed, and that would be only for a Top Ten.

I guess it just really bothers me when these kids take things for granted.  They have no idea how lucky they are.  Although, when I was their age, I didn't realize how lucky I was until it was gone.

No comments: