Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Papa - The fireman

I've been scanning old family photo's to make a gift for my grandparents.  I've gone through about 800, and I think I have about 1000 to go.  And that is just the "loose" photos.  I still have hundreds of albums to go through to scan them also.

I found a few photos that are amazing.  I found a photo of Papa fighting a fire.  Its amazing.  I'm so proud to say my Grandpa was a fireman for the city.  Not much of my family were in public service.  One of my uncles was a detective, and as far as I know none of my uncles ever served in the military.  I know my Grandpa served in some war (Same Grandpa as the fireman), but he doesn't like to talk about it.  (My other grandpa served in some war too... I think) I'm sure it is really hard (emotionally) to fight in a war, and fight fires, but it would be nice if he could tell us stories. 




Thats why it was so cool when I saw this photo. I don't really know how firemen and their trucks work, but apparently that is Papa's truck.  I called Mom and asked her about it, and she said Papa gave this photo to Mom.  Some bystander took it and dropped it off at the station or something.  I guess he is somewhere either in the building, or on the ladder.

Its just so cool.  I look at the photo and smile just thinking that my Papa was one of those men helping to save people.

It almost makes me sad about my job.  I do not have a rewarding job at all.  I don't do anything to help others.  I do not see the results of my work, everything I do doesn't really seem "real." Looking at the past, I don't think I would have chosen my undergrad major if I could do it all over.  I think I would have chosen Nursing, or Vet, or Teaching.  Something that "gives back."

Personally, I don't have the guts to be a fireman, policeman, or in the military.  Which is why I admire all the people out there that risk their lives for me, and others like me.  So Papa, even though you wont see this, Thank you for helping save other people's lives.

And to every other service person out there... The men and women who are in the Military, Policemen, Fireman, ect.... Thank you for risking your life to save mine.

No comments: