Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo

Did you know that yesterday was Star Wars day?  May the 4th (be with you).  I had no idea.  I know a lot of people are Star Wars fans... I am not.  I appreciate Star Wars... but that's the extent to it.

I will not be celebrating Cinco de Mayo this year.  It always stinks when it’s on a week day.  I decided I will not be drinking during the week anymore.  I already broke that this week because C and I went to a BYOB cooking class and we had some wine.  But honestly, I hate tequila, so it’s not much of a disappointment for me.

In fact, C and I had a "Mexican Party" last winter, where we made tacos and burritos and made margaritas.  The whole point of the party was to try and get rid of our tequila.  Unfortunately, as a gift, one of ours guests brought us a bottle of tequila. :-/ We still have more tequila now, than we did before the party.  (Not a drop of tequila has been drunk since that party.)

The only "tequila" I like is not even real tequila.  Its called "Hopquila" and brewed at "New Holland Brewery" in Michigan.  http://newhollandbrew.com/spirits/hopquila/hatter-royale/
C and I learned about it at Whisky Fest a few weeks ago.  Hopquila is not actually tequila; I don't even think it has agave in it.  The owner (or master distiller... I can't remember) explained that they accidentally distilled the barley twice when making Whisky.  The master distiller decided that the resulting taste was interesting, and wanted to play with it.  He decided to add some additional citrus tastes, and other "stuff" which has since developed into the 2nd most popular selling spirit at their brewery. 
The owner/master distiller (whoever it was) asked me if I would like to try it.  I asked if it smells like tequila, he said "sort of," I asked if it tastes like tequila and he said "sort of."  I was pretty skeptical, but I decided to take the risk. 
I smelled it, it didn't smell anything like tequila.  Already that was a huge plus in my book.  Then I tasted it.  It was heaven!  Honestly, I don't think it tasted or smelled anything like tequila.  It is probably one of my favorite spirits at the moment. 

That night, I also tasted a new Chocolate Vodka... But I'll write about that one tomorrow.



No comments: