Friday, May 6, 2011

Chocolate Vodka

Honestly, Whisky Fest was so much fun.  Not because it was a drunk fest (for others, not for me), But because I was able to talk to master distillers and owners of the brewers. I talked to an owner or master distiller (still can't remember, sorry) at Grand Traverse Distillery.  They distill whisky and wheat vodka.  I am a huge Vodka fan, so I was very excited to try the vodka.  It was one of the only booths that had vodka at the fest.

I was very intrigues by a dark vodka.  I asked the owner (I'm almost positive it was the owner) what it was, and he explained that it was a chocolate vodka.  He told me that his wife loves Chocolate and she asked him to make a Chocolate Vodka.  He then proceeded to apologize for the appearance of the bottle.  The vodka was bottled in an old wine glass, and had a table that looked like it was printed off a regular office printer.  It was very charming.  The owner told us that the vodka recipe had recently been finalized and the current (and first) batch was recently matured.  There wasn't time to make a proper bottle or label for it, but he wanted to bring it to the fest to see how it fared with the public.  Honestly... I think it was one of the best flavored vodkas ever.

The vodka wasn't sweet; I would say it was more of a cocoa vodka then a chocolate vodka.  It smelled wonderfully like chocolate, and tasted like cocoa (I can't wait for it to get on the shelves so I can mix it with hot chocolate.).  The owner explained that there were several sweet chocolate vodkas, and he didn't want to make one like that.  He said that if you wanted something sweet, there were plenty of things to add as a mixer, but you couldn't take the sweetness away.  And he was 100% right.  C's Dad bought us wonderful sweet chocolate vodka, and it tastes great over ice.  But personally, I think this new one is better.




No comments: