Saturday, December 15, 2012

Used Furniture Grosses me out

So, I'm in Pittsburgh (which many of you already know).  I'm only here for 6 months so I do not want to

1.  Move all my stuff here.
2.  Buy all new expensive stuff.

So I had a few options.  Try to find a furnished apartment (they are as much as $500 more than what I'm paying now, btw it was CRAPPY furniture), Try to rent Furniture (as much as $600 a month on TOP of rent), OR stay in a hotel (as much as $800 a month more than I'm paying now).  So I decided that I could furnish an apartment for less than 3k ($500 times 6 months...)

So far I've spent ~ $200.  I bought a blow up mattress that I plan on sleeping in until I find a cheap bed ($60), sheets and a comforter ($100), and miscellaneous items around the apt.  I "splurged" on the sheets and comforter because I think I am going to keep them and use them in the guest bedroom at the house.  The blow up mattress was also a splurge, but I have to sleep on this for at LEAST 1 week (perhaps as much as 6 months) so I wanted it to be nice.  BTW - this air mattress is "a Queen" and all I have to say is BS.  This is NOT a queen while fully blown up.  Its a full.... at MOST.  So, Coleman, liar, liar pants on fire.

Anyway, since I have nothing better to do (and goodwill failed me) I've been scouring Craigslist looking for cheap items.  I have to say most of the furniture grosses me out.  Basically anything with cloth gives me the heebie-jeebies. All I keep imagining is people peeing or puking or having S*X or doing other gross things on the furniture.  I mean lets face it, some people are NASTY. And it just grosses me out.  With a kitchen table, I can clean 99.9% of the germs off of it.  (According to Lysol or whoever).  Which means if I clean it twice with Lysol (or whatever) 99.9% x 2 leaves VERY FEW germs on it.  So stranger's puke or whatever germs are virtually gone.

BUT, I can't very easily bleach an entire sofa.  I may be able to clean the surface of the couch, but I can NOT clean the stuffing or whatever is under the cloth surface.  And liquid can penetrate stuff REAL deep... Ewwwww.

And, even though I can put a slip cover over the sofa, put a mattress cover and sheets over the bed, I still can't get over the grossness.... I know this is a "me" thing, but I can't get past it. :(

No comments: