Thursday, May 1, 2014

Tough Decisions

Some of you know that I've fostered dogs a few times.  The first dog was a disaster.  He was returned to the rescue after his owners had him a year due to "allergies."  They owned the dog his entire puppy-hood and I'm pretty sure they just got tired of all the destruction.  The dog had no manners and didn't know how to act around my dog. I could have dealt with the no manners, but in combination with him not getting along with my other dog, it was just too much.  So unfortunately I had to return him and try to foster a different dog.

I ended up fostering the sweetest dog ever, Lilly. (Photo Right)
She had/has a skin condition which I was helping her with. I would take her to the vet and try to figure out what it was. But because of the skin condition she was un-adoptable for several months and I ended up having Lilly for almost 3 months.  Needless to say, even though I tried my hardest to not get attached, I got attached.  I knew going into it, that I would be giving Lilly away to her forever home, but its real difficult for me not to fall in love with animals.  I just couldn't help it, I guess.

So now comes the hard part.  I am ready to foster again, and I texted the rescue I work with.  They have a 4 month old beagle that also has some medical issues.  They asked if I could take him/her.  But I know it will be the same thing as it was with Lilly.  I'll have this puppy for several months and I'll start getting attached again.  Lilly went to an amazing home, honestly I couldn't hope for a better home for her.  But what if the next dog lives with me for several months and goes to a less than ideal home?
But how can I saw no to this puppy who really needs some human companionship right now?

Unfortunately, I think I have to tell the rescue that I am not ready for that puppy, but I feel terrible saying that and I can't bring myself to text them.  I know there are tons of adult dogs at the shelter that would just love some human companionship.  Its a much easier transition if the dog has been in a home, around people, and gets to learn how to be a house pet.  They are much easier to adopt also because the potential adopters can ask you questions and you can say with confidence "Lilly did not have a single accident inside while I had her."

I know what I have to do, but its not going to be a fun text. :(

No comments: