Monday, March 3, 2014

DIY Raised Garden Bed

It has been my dream to have my own garden.  And literally a weekend or so after we closed on the house, back in 2012, I built this raised garden bed.  

I used the instructions here - http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/ultimate-raised-bed-how-to-00400000011938/

After reading the comments in the above link I read that the wood would sometimes bow outward due to the weight of the soil.  So I added the separator in the middle and so far it works great.  It has been 2 years and there haven't been any problems.  

Building the raised garden bed was a piece of cake.  One of the challenging (and expensive) things was filling the bed with dirt.  I can't remember the specifics, but I think I bought $100 worth of top soil.  I didn't even buy the fancy plant stuff, just regular black dirt and it barely filled the bed 1/2 way.  Each year I just figured I would buy a few more bags of dirt, or through in some peat moss or compost or something.  Last year I bought 2 bags of dirt and 1 bag of peat moss, and I'm sure I'll do the same thing this year.  

The bird netting is kind of a pain in the behind when it comes to mowing the lawn.  I need to figure out a better solution for it.  The netting always gets caught in the mower blades, or I don't pay close enough attention and the plants grow through the netting.  This year I think I may just keep the netting on the garden while the plants are seeds or when they are first planted, and then chance the birds.  We'll see.
I can tell you I've definitely got my money's worth of vegetables from the garden. :) Just ask my mother and friends.  I constantly drop off extras with them so they don't go bad. 

I'm so tired of winter that I'm already starting to plan springs garden. 

No comments: