Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Thanks to my Neighbors

Chicago has gotten 55+ inches of snow this year.  More snow this year than the past 2 years combined.  All I have to say is, Mother Nature... I'm done with winter. I'm done with the cold and the snow.  Where the heck is Spring??

But the purpose of this post is not to complain, its actually to Thank my Neighbors.

C has been gone for a few weeks now working in Ohio.  I've been stuck shoveling the driveway because our snow blower is out of commission, and frankly fixing it is not on the top of my list.  (I'm hoping have it fixed by next weekend though) I think this is the only time in my life that I'll be grateful that I only have a single car driveway.  But I'm lucky because there have only been a few times when I had to shovel the sidewalks.

See there is this one neighbor, who owns a 4-wheeler and a plow.  Every time it snows he plows all the sidewalks in the entire neighborhood.  Honestly, its wonderful.  If I could find out who the neighbor was, I would go and give him a bottle of scotch.  But I have no idea who he is!  I have only seen him once of all the times he has plowed our sidewalk.  I think he does it while I'm at work or something, no idea.  The one time I saw him it was at the beginning of the snow season (this year) and he was on his 4-wheeler happy as a clam on a Saturday.  I wasn't prepared to stop him to ask where he lived.  I just waved and screamed Thanks, and he waved back.  So, to the neighbor out there, if I see you, I owe you a bottle of scotch.  Seriously, Thank you for plowing my sidewalk this year.  You've saved my back!

But I'm still stuck shoveling the driveway.  Which really isn't that bad.  Except for the fact that we have a single car driveway and the snow is piling up.  Before today the snow piles were so big and so wide that they were encroaching on the driveway and I could barely get my car in the driveway without driving over the banks.

So, I woke up this morning and shoveled the 6 inches of snow we got and left for work.  On the drive home I prepared myself mentally for attempting to shovel the rest of the snow that fell and attempt to widen my driveway entrance.  Mind you, the snow bank was basically as tall as I am so it was going to be difficult.  So I came home, parked on the street and went inside to change into my boots.  I went outside to find my wonderful neighbor in the process of plowing the apron that I was just about to dig into.  He was even making it wider for me just like I was going to!  How amazingly nice is that!  Had I not walked outside to shovel I'm pretty sure my neighbor would have started on the rest of my driveway.  Honestly, it was the nicest surprise in the world.

I plan to buy ingredients for cookies, or brownies or muffins or something this weekend and deliver them as a Thanks.

But To both men and their families... Thank you very much.  I appreciate it!

No comments: