Friday, February 7, 2014

DIY Wedding Invitations

Man o Man.  The wedding invitations were probably one of the biggest decisions of the wedding.  I started looking for invites early, and either I didn't like them, or they were obnoxiously over budget.  So I mixed and matched.

I was a bit picky with the invitation itself.  Seriously, I think I had 100 + samples sent to me over a few months because I couldn't figure out what I wanted. I wanted the raised lettering for the invite so that it was a bit fancier, so I didn't want to print the invitations myself.  I found some beautiful Vellum invitations at Michaels. My theme was vines/shamrocks and these were leaves and trees.  But they were close enough and I love the way they turned out.

I'm also a huge fan of the pocket invites.  So I ordered the pockets through cards and pockets and created the inserts myself.
DIY Purple and Green Wedding invites. Pic Heavy :  wedding celtic clover diy green invitations invite irish purple rsvp shamrock  DSC2878
























Honestly, the inserts were difficult. Not the RSVP.  That was pretty straight forward, although I was not 100% sure what to put on the RSVP.  In hindsight, it would have been better to ask who wanted the Chicken, and who wanted the pork.  Instead of a circle for them to fill in, a line probably would have been better.  Oh well, just a lesson learned.


DIY Purple and Green Wedding invites. Pic Heavy :  wedding celtic clover diy green invitations invite irish purple rsvp shamrock  DSC2881

But trying to figure out what to put on the inserts.  Very challenging.

Misc on the Left, Directions on the Right.
DIY Purple and Green Wedding invites. Pic Heavy :  wedding celtic clover diy green invitations invite irish purple rsvp shamrock  DSC2882

Although the most challenging thing was creating the map.  I took a screenshot on google maps, and then placed it in paint.  Then I just drew the lines and then deleted the background.  It took a LOT longer than I expected.

DIY Purple and Green Wedding invites. Pic Heavy :  wedding celtic clover diy green invitations invite irish purple rsvp shamrock  DSC2883

I also ordered the damask monogram band through cards and pockets.  These I could have printed at home, but by this time I was tired of printing everything, the RSVP, misc and directions were difficult

Another big decision was the envelope color.  I knew I wanted calligraphy on the invitation envelopes and I knew I wanted the RSVP envelopes to be the same color as the invitation envelope.  My colors were Dark Purple and Dark Green. If I had envelopes in dark green, how would I address them?  I would have to use white labels, and I thought that would look tacky.  So the two choices were lighter green and white.  And I didn't want white.  So light green it was.

I ended up getting some inspiration for the labels. I put a little shamrock on the labels for the RSVP's and for the return addresses on the invitations.  I thought it looked very cute. :) The addresses for the invitations were done in calligraphy by my husband. He is a man of many talents.
DIY Purple and Green Wedding invites. Pic Heavy :  wedding celtic clover diy green invitations invite irish purple rsvp shamrock  DSC2879

I couldn't believe how long everything took to make.  I would recommend budgeting about 3 weeks for 100 invitations.  Especially if you are DIYing everything.
DIY Purple and Green Wedding invites. Pic Heavy :  wedding celtic clover diy green invitations invite irish purple rsvp shamrock  DSC2888

I don't think I would change anything, except the trees... I would have loved to find a vellum invite that had shamrocks or something on it.  Just small details only I would notice. I still love the way they turned out. :)

No comments: