Monday, January 23, 2012

"Can you please move towards the center of the train"

Quite frequently when the train is crowded someone will ask everyone to scrunch together so they can fit on the train.  Personally, I hate this and I think it is very self-centered and rude.  However I don't say anything.  I continue to read my book and just think happy thoughts. 

Today, someone tapped me on the shoulder interrupting my nook.  She said "Can you please move forward."  I had a rather obnoxious gym bag with me on the El, and I absolutely hate it when people's gym bags or briefcases touch me, so I purposefully kept a few inches between me and the next person.  I figured I was being nice.  I told the lady "No, there are only a few inches, I can not move.  Perhaps the people who are trying to get on the train should take the next one."  I used to get on the train at this station.  I know how crowded the train is at this station.  I also know that whenever I used this stop I would sometimes have to wait 2 or 3 trains because they were full.  So when the lady said "Everyone is just trying to get somewhere on time, they can't wait for the next one."  I was surprised.  I told her "Perhaps the people who live at this stop should plan for a crowded train and arrive at the station earlier... or be late." She didn't really like that answer, but I didn't move. 

Honestly, it really annoys me when people push themselves on the train.  Is your world really going to end if you are 10 minutes late?  Do you really have to be so self centered to inconvenience a ton of people?  To the people who are rude and forced themselves on the train by squishing into people... I'm really sorry if your late, but wake up earlier... I HATE waking up.  I would much rather sleep in every day.  However if you have someplace to be and you must be ontime, then plan for it.  Arrive at the train early.

No comments: